Tuesday, August 27, 2013

I Hate Rotten Strawberries!

Over the last few years, I noticed that strawberries get rotten really quickly after I purchase them.  I don't know if it is because it takes them longer to get from the field to the store or what.  But, we seldom get to eat a whole container before they are no good.



A few tips and tricks to help your strawberries last longer:

(1) Set aside some time post grocery shopping to wash all of your fruit in a mixture of vinegar and water.  I do about one cup of vinegar to three cups of cool water.  It will save you time in the end because you won't have to wash again.  I fill up a big bowl and plop things in, swish them around and then rinse in the sink.

(2) After I wash my strawberries, I immediately sort through them.  Ones that are already inedible go right in the trash because they can get moldy and the mold and spread.

(3) After throwing out the completely bad ones, I cut up the rest.  As you know, some are borderline.  Those I cut and throw in a freezer bag and freeze for smoothies.  There are two ways to freeze strawberries.  (a) Throwing them in the freezer bag and putting them in the freezer; or (b) Placing each one on a baking sheet and freezing them there - once frozen, transfer to a bag or container.  The beauty of method (b) is that the berries don't clump together and you can more easily measure them if following a recipe.  It is completely a lifestyle choice.  Since I am not huge on measuring or time, I do (a).



(4) The remaining perfectly ripe berries go in an airtight container with a paper towel.  The paper towels helps absorb any excess moisture.  I try and keep them on a low shelf for the little guy to help himself.


No comments:

Post a Comment