Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Paleo Ketchup

When I first started eating paleo, I didn't even think about the condiments I use as being "bad".  Because, honestly, I don't really use a lot of condiments.  But hubby and the kiddo do.  And when I looked at the label for our ketchup and saw how much sugar it had in it, I decided to make my own.  So here's a super simple recipe that I found on Pinterest for super easy paleo ketchup!  I have no idea who Ryan Wilder is but his ketchup is pretty great.  I am going to tweak it a bit for next time as hubby's comment was that it was "too tomatoey" - are you laughing too?

Recipe

12 oz tomato paste
1.5 cups water
2 tbsp vinegar
1/2 tsp garlic powder (in my tweaks, I think I am going to up this and see how it goes - stay tuned!)
1/2 tsp onion powder (more of this too!)
1/4 tsp allspice

Put all of the above in a sauce pan and heat thoroughly, stirring frequently and well.  Allow to simmer for a few minutes and then pour into a glass container.

I have a bunch of 32 oz mason jars for this type of thing (ordered on Amazon) that work perfectly.  The one criticism I have of this (and it isn't really a criticism) is that it separates and gets quite "chunky" or lumpy.  Stirring well before use remedies this and, of course, using all natural ingredients generally means things don't emulsify as well.  So, the positives outweigh the negatives!  This ketchup is awesome on the paleo meatloaf that I posted on Facebook (here soon) as well as sweet potato "chips" and almost anything else.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. It is good and I pour it into the Heinz squeeze bottle so my three year old has no clue! Thanks for reading!!!

    ReplyDelete