Thursday, March 21, 2013

First Recipe - Braised Bacon Spinach with Olives

I must admit, I am not a huge fan of spinach.  But hubby likes it and I know it is good for me.  So we bought a big old bag of it at Costco.  I hit up the local fish market for some wild caught Artic Char and got creative.

Here an "in progress" picture



Recipe

A few handfuls of raw spinach
Mixed kalamata and green olives, chopped
Very fatty bacon with the fat separated from the meatier parts - 6 or so slices
Chopped fresh or jarred garlic
Sea salt to taste

Put the bacon fat in a medium skillet over medium heat and cook until it melts.

Add the garlic and desired amount of sea salt.  Cover and cook over medium for two minutes.

Toss in the olives and bacon and cook until the bacon is cooked through.

Add the spinach and toss to coat in the bacon fat and other ingredients.

Cover and remove from heat.

Let sit for ten minutes or so until the spinach is wilted.

I served the artic char on top of the bed of spinach.  To prepare the fish, I cut slits in the top and inserted small pieces of bacon fat.  I added italian seasoning and garlic and broiled for 20 or so minutes.

End result was delicious!




No comments:

Post a Comment